Sunday, July 27, 2008

Day three in Korea...

So I've finally broken down and joined Ben in the PC Bhang...needless to say we are the only people in here actually browsing the internet. Well actually Ben is now playing FIFA, which only took 20 minutes of awkward miscommunication to set up unsuccessfully. Finally the guy who works here gave up and logged Ben in under himself so he could play, Koreans are VERY nice to say the least and I've determined Hangul (the Korean gibberish they call their alphabet) is impossible to read!!!

I'm already starting to get used to the awkward stares and curious looks Ben and I get wherever we go, but last night it was refreshing to have a stare-free night and hang out with some fellow English teachers. Our first day wandering around the city we met a couple who have been here for a couple of weeks and they told us about a few bars where the "foreigners" hang out. Last night was poker night at one of the bars and we had a great time, but I've determined Ben is no longer allowed to play (at least until we start making some money!). I actually did pretty well...if buy backs weren't allowed there is a large chance I could have won about 200 bucks! Oh well, maybe next time.

Meeting some other teachers was a relief. Right now the schools are on holiday and the teachers at our school are out of town traveling so we haven't had anyone to show us the ropes. Everyone was so friendly and we already have a water skiing outing planned for Wednesday. They only had great things to say about Jeonju and I'm excited to learn from them. Ben and I are definitely the newbies. Everyone else has been teaching for at least several months or a few years.

As you would expect, it turned out to be quite a long night and by the time I got home and drunkenly cooked some noodles for Ben and I the sun was coming up. Ahhhh just the start of many long nights to come. The great thing about the bars here is they stay open until you decide to leave...even if it is 4:30 in the morning! I think I'm going to like this place!!

This week Ben and I don't have to work until Friday! How awesome is it that we got here and get a vacation right away!? We've decided to take advantage of our free time and visit the "old city" tomorrow and do some sight seeing. Jeonju is over 500 years old and has a vast and interesting history of which I currently know nothing about. Oh and did I mention that Jeonju is well known for having some of the best produce on the planet!!! The fruit here is indescribably good!! Hell all of the food here is amazing!!

Well I'm going to cut this off and try to pry Ben away from his game...despite the convenience of having the PC Bhang down the street to use the internet it might prove to be the demise of Ben if I let the gaming get to him! We'll update you soon, hopefully from the comfort of our own apartment and then I can post some pictures!

Talor

2 comments:

Mummy Darling said...

Looking good! Thanks for the update. It's lovely to hear how it's all going! Sounds like you will settle in fast.j love from Mummy Darling xxxx

Adrienne B. said...

So jealous. I want to be there with you two so bad. I love you both... please keep the blogs up!