Thursday, July 31, 2008

So we didn't go water skiing Wednesday...

but we had a fun day anyway! Ben and I ended up meeting up with our new friend Derby and we went out to the university area for drinks and dinner. We also had our first Soju experience. Derby introduced us to a place where they have yogurt soju and lemon soju! It was sooo good and definitely a place that we will frequently be going. After drinks we met up with some new friends and a couple of people that were visiting from Japan.

I know I say this all the time...but dinner was AMAZING!!! It was another first (as most things are here). We had a meal called duk galbi, which is chicken, cabbage, potatoes, and noodles cooked in a sweet and slightly spicy red sauce at your table. Probably my favorite meal yet! And just so you can get an idea of how inexpensive it is to eat out here...our bill was $27 for four of us to eat and share 5 or 6 (I can't remember exactly) 16oz bottles of beer and 2 bottles of soju!!

After dinner we went to a hookah bar where we met up with some more people and had drinks well into the night. The next day everyone was going to go water skiing since we didn't on Wednesday, but Ben and I decided against it since we need to conserve our money at this time :). Thursday was a day of r&r except Ben met up with some guys to play basketball. I stayed home and read...apparently the girls don't really play sports with the boys :(.

Well today was our first day of "work". Even though we just had a less than a half-day because it's the kid's first day back from summer vacation. Ben and I are teaching the most advanced elementary students. I think they are all 7 year-olds. We split the class so Ben teaches 6 kids and I teach the other 6. They are sooo cute and FULL of energy. Unfortunately I have the one really bad kid in my class!! He is definitely going to be a pain in the ass!! But for the most part the other kids are really sweet and very smart!

Today we did phonics, reading, talking, and writing. With a play break and yoga inbetween. Ben helped the other English teacher Erich lead yoga. HILARIOUS, since Ben is the least flexible person I know and he's sore from basketball. Overall it was a good day! The other English teachers are still out of town but they will be back on Monday. We did meet some of the Korean teachers and they are very nice. They kept telling Ben and I how good looking we were :).

I'm not sure of our weekend plans, but I'm sure it will be fun! My birthday is on Sunday but I don't think we're planning on doing too much, except going to play poker. Hope you are all doing well! Annyongkahsayo!!

Talor

10 comments:

Mummy Darling said...

Great blog Talor! I was excited to hear about your first day of work - and only 6 kids - that's awesome!

Happy HAPPY birthday for Sunday. Wish we could celebrate with you like your 21st at Bonnefon.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear Ben is getting some exercise - the yoga will be good for you both! Heard from Matt Stewart that Lady is fine.

Keep the blog going.

Unknown said...

Trip to Angola got canceled so I am going to Zim tonight to spend the weekend with the Russells. Bonnefon on Tuesday.

jules said...

How exciting! I look forward to your blogs. Can't wait for your pics. Happy Birthday Talor! luv, jules

Celena said...

Talor and Ben, I finally found time to check out your blog! It's such a great idea--please continue to update as you can to keep us all informed. I'm so proud of you two. :) XOXOX

Robert said...

hey guys -- sounds like a good time over there! good luck this week with the kids. as for "the bad one," Talor, maybe you should remind him what happens to bad kids who don't study hard in their English class...(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_South_Korea)
haha not reeeally, but yeah, really.

things in Austin are good but sort of slow. the creek is still dry, it's still 102 degrees every day, and adrienne's been on me all week to play hearts with her and Sean. look what you did to me. can't wait to see you guys. Talor, hope your birthday's like no other!

Janet G said...

Talor and Ben,

This blog is really cool, I love reading about your experiences, especially the food & drink! Comforting to know that in all parts of the world, there's always that 1 bad kid. . .

Happy Birthday Talor! I'll drink a toast to you tomorrow.

Cheers!
Janet

B&T said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes everyone!!! Wish you were all here to celebrate with me!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Talor!

Sitting in Harare Airport - phone doesn't work in Zim but there is free Wi-Fi in the airport lounge!

On my way to Bonnefon.

Time for another blog!

oceallaigh said...

Sound like great fun so far. And the food sounds delicious...I'm going to find a korean BBQ close to the office!Happy Bday Taylor

johnk